Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using wireshark protocol parsers to buildpackets

From: "[Chris] NULL" <chrismc912@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:14:43 +0000
Thanks lot for your answer. Packet trace anonymization was exactly the point I am interested in :)

Regards,
Chris

> My question is, is it possible to use the Wireshark disectors to "build" a > trace. What I mean with this is, is it e.q. possible to change values in the
> Wireshark GUI and then have Wireshark build the binary trace together? I
> know that in the current version this is not possible, but my question is in
> general. Is it possible to extend the Wireshark disectors to be able to
> "build" a trace?

No; that feature's missing from the current version because the
infrastructure for it isn't available, not because Wireshark chooses not
to implement it.

This is probably significantly more complicated than one might think,
especially given packet reassembly.  A mechanism to do that would be
useful for manually editing packets (e.g., to construct a sequence of
packets to replay), as well as for the anonymization feature another
person would like to implement - but it'd require architectural work.