Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Submitting a patch

From: Gerhard Gappmeier <gerhard.gappmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:36:50 +0100
Hello,

I want to submit a first prototype version of a OpcUa protocol dissector
plugin.
Unfortunately I have a strange problem creating a patch.

I'm using tortoise SVN, right clicking on the folder "plugins" and using
"Create Patch".
The resulting patch file contains every file in the subfolder "opcua" twice.
Does anyone know this problem und how to solve that?
I could also zip the sources and send you that instead.

The next question is: After you have verified and integrated the code,
can I get access to the subfolder "plugins/opcua", so that I can check
in the following changes directly?

I attached the readme containing some background information of OpcUa
and the current status.

regards,
Gerhard.

OpcUa Plugin:
=============

This plugin implements the dissection of the OpcUa Binary Protocol.
Author: Gerhard Gappmeier
        ascolab GmbH
        http://www.ascolab.com

Overview:
=========

OpcUa (OPC Unified Architecture) is a vendor and platform independent
protocol for automation technology. It is the successor of the
COM/DCOM based specifications OPC DA, OPC Alarm & Events, OPC HDA, etc.
It unifies all this technologies into a single protocol.

The specification describes abstract services that are independent
of the underlying protocol. For now there exist protocol mappings
to a Binary TCP based protocol and a SOAP based Webservice.
Also a hybrid version will be available where the Binary messages are transported
by a single webservice command called "Invoke".

Protocol Mappings:
==================

Binary (TCP): The fastest and most flexible version (small footprint, no XML and SOAP necessary)
              can easily be tunneled (SSH, IPSEC, etc.), redirected, ...
SOAP version: Easy to implement with verious tools like .Net, JAVA, gSOAP, etc.
              Better to communicate through firewalls via HTTP.
SOAP with Binary Attchment: Combines the advantages of both.
              The messages are encoded as Binary, and transported via SOAP as binary
              attachment.

The OPC Foundation offers a free Opc Ua stack implementation in ANSI C
for all members. This stack implements the binary protocol as well
as the SOAP version. It's easily portable to different kinds of operating
systems from embedded devices to servers.
This makes it easy to implement Opc Ua applications based on this stack
and it is expected that the binary protocol will be the most used
protocol.
Nevertheless it's free to everbody to implement an own stack according
to the specification. An own implementation of the SOAP version
should be easy with the various SOAP toolkits.

For more information see http://www.opcfoundation.org

Known limitations:

* In this version the security layer contains only dummy data.
  The plugin decodes the transport layer, skips the security dummy data
  and decodes the application layer.
  Security implementation will follow when it has been implemented in the
  Opc Ua stack.