Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building with cygwin python

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:30:58 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Jaap Keuter wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I was working on the Windows build (VC6) and had the usual trouble with
> > python. Until I changed the PYTHON symbol to simply PYTHON=env. Bash
> > seems to get enough info from the shebang in the script to run python for
> > plugin.c generation. So should we put that in config.nmake?
> >
> Jaap, you're long enough on the list to know that "had the usual trouble
> with python" won't help a lot ...

I know that is not too precise, I didn't go back into the archives to
track down all issues reported. However I do know the cygwin tool
preference was changed to a native tool because of these problems, see the
distributed config.nmake. That observation is enough for this report.

> You may be a bit more exact with your problem report.
>
> I (and someone else as well) have trouble using the cygwin port, so I'd
> vote against switching to it.

I know the sentiment is currently against using the cygwin port of this
tool. On the other hand, we still like to use as many cygwin tools as
possible, for ease of toolchain management.
Therefore I would like to report this suggestion for anyone looking for
the cygwin option. Not to initiate an immediate change, just a pointer for
those reseaching the subject.

Thanx,
Jaap