Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Name resolution

From: "Douglas Pratley" <Douglas.pratley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:37:10 -0000

Hi guys

As far as I can tell, name resolution (specifically DNS, other sorts looks similar) is either:

(a) OFF

(b) ON – uses values from hosts file AND tries live DNS

(c) ON + concurrent - uses values hosts file AND tries live DNS concurrently

So if you want to use a host file you have to have live DNS turned on (with the slowdown that implies).

Can anyone confirm this? Might it be more sensible to have a setting that allow the use of the hosts file without live DNS?

Cheers

Doug

Douglas Pratley
t +44 845 050 7640 | f +44 845 644 5436
a Detica | PO Box 383 | Horley | Surrey | RH6 7WX | UK
www.detica.com

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised signatory. The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies within the Detica Group plc group of companies.

Detica Limited is registered in England under No: 1337451.

Registered offices: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP, England.