Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] U3 questions/remarks

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:29:33 +0100
Graeme Lunt wrote:
Ulf,
What do you mean by "name-based GUIDs"?
See RFC 4122 - http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=4122.
Buidling parts of the GUID from the current SVN version might be the way to go - names don't fit well into GUID's ;-).
They do if you hash them - see version 3/5 UUIDs.

Hmmm, interesting and good to know - as I might need this RFC info somewhere else!

However, where do you see this name? The SVN version is just a number currently with 5 digits, probably more in the future.

Even the releases will have a unique SVN number, so using it for the GUID should do well ....

I can't see any name here ;-)

Regards, ULFL