Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] U3 questions/remarks

From: "Graeme Lunt" <graeme.lunt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:48:50 +0100
Ufl,

> > As to the version in the U3 launchpad item, then that
> > should probably go. I find it very useful as I generally
> > have 3 versions on my USB stick - current public release,
> > current development build, my personal build. This makes it
> > easy to see what I have fixed/broken! 8^)
> >
> Hmmm, interesting. How do you install more than one WS version on a
> stick? Do you use different GUID's for the different
> versions? Or do you simply use more than one stick ;-)

No - I use different GUIDs for different versions. It is specified in the
manifest.tmpl file.
But I also have more than one stick for testing the U3 support - lots of
launchpads!

> Idea: If you use different GUID's, should we add the SVN version into
> the GUID somehow to do this automatically?

I have been doing it "by hand" and checking a change in at each version
change so far.
But it is probably time for an automatic approach. I'll see what's available
for creating name-based GUIDs - or write something. Does Wireshark already
have an allocated GUID (which I could re-use for the namespace)?

> > Given the other comments, I think I will add it to the description which
> > comes up as a tooltip, which is slightly easier than bringing up the
> > Wireshark properties.
> >
> Where does it come up as a tooltip? I'm using the U3
> Launchpad (1.1.0.2) from my Toshiba stick and it doesn't
> show up a tooltip in the launchpad at all :-(

A tooltip comes up when I hover over the application name in the launchpad
window.
I'm running 1.2.0.5 on a Sandisk U3 device. The launchpads are slightly
different between vendors as well which doesn't help - see
http://wiki.wireshark.org/U3Packaging for what the Sandisk launchpad looks
like.

> Maybe I'll need an upgrade for the U3 Launchpad?

It is worthwhile doing - you can do it from the Launchpad (or at least you
can on my Sandisk launchpad!).

> > Well, I've just had a quick look at this and it appears to
> > be because the Wireshark icon I put into the manifest has more
> > than 256 colours.
> I think that one seems to be fixed recently :-)

Will rebuild and test.

> > Had thought about this but not come to any decision. Maybe adding
> > something like:
> >
> > "... from the <device> U3 device on drive <drive>."
> >
> > For example,
> > "Running on Windows XP Service Pack 2, build 2600, without
> WinPcap, without
> > AirPcap from the Sandisk Titanium U3 device on drive I:"
> >
> Sounds very good, could you add it?

Will do.

> > If you think this is a useful feature, it may be better to
> > incorporate into Wireshark itself - as if you uninstall WinPcap
> > after installing Wireshark from the NSIS package, you won't be
> > prompted to install it again either.
> > Maybe ask if you try to "Start" a capture and WinPcap
> > cannot be loaded?
> >
> I was thinking exactly about this myself :-) We install the winpcap
> installer in "Program Files" already, so it should be possible to add
> this without much extra work.

That will simplify the U3 interface too as it won't have to ask on the first

start of the application.
There will have to be a little bit of U3-specific code - i.e. mark the
WinPcap as being installed by the U3 device, so it can uninstalled when the
U3 device is removed - but that is fairly trivial.

Graeme