Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] U3 questions/remarks

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 12:05:09 -0800
Guy Harris wrote:
> Graeme Lunt wrote:
>
>> Well, I've just had a quick look at this and it appears to be because the
>> Wireshark icon I put into the manifest has more than 256 colours. This is
>> not a problem for the main launchpad window but it apparently a problem for
>> the "More Programs" sub menu. To be fair the U3 spec says it should only be
>> 256 colours. So I'll look at updating the makefile to automatically
>> downgrade the icon for the U3 package.
>
> If I remember correctly (which I might not be doing), Windows icon files
> can include multiple color depths; if so, perhaps the Wireshark icon
> should have multiple color depths in it, starting with 256 colors (do
> the versions of Windows we support handle any lower color depths?).

The icon files in the contained 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, and 16x16
pixel images with 8-bit and 32-bit depths.  I've checked in a change
removing the 32-bit versions, leaving only 8-bit ones.  Can anyone who's
having problems see if this helps?

BTW, does anyone know of a good way to convert the 256x256 PNG icons in
the repository to a Windows icon that conforms with the guidelines in
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx?  I'm using
IconLab, but it apparently creates icons that some programs don't like.