Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Use ethereal as a proprietary protocol parser; no ethernet/I

From: "Abhik Sarkar" <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:54:48 +0400
Hi,

I don't know if I am straying from the core of the topic here, but
this particular topic has always foxed me.

If a protocol is proprietery (in the sense that the specifications are
not open and they might be released only under NDA), then wouldn't
writing a dissector for it create legal problems one way or the other.
If the dissector was written and made available to the world (as the
GPL license would require) then the specifications would essentially
be made public, which is not desired. On the other hand, if a company
made a dissector for its own use for such a protocol, but did not make
it public, then it would be a violation of the GPL!

Tom, I guess the answer to your question would largely depend on what
you mean by "proprietery". However, to dissect the protocol, I think
some programming is needed, it might not be possible using
configuration only.

Best regards,
Abhik.