Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Use ethereal as a proprietary protocol parser; no ethernet/IP de

From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:09:09 -0800 (PST)
Hello,
I work for a company that build proprietary communication systems for the utility industry.  We have a proprietary communcation protocol that can be wrapped in several standard protocols.  I would like to build a log parser that looks like Ethereal for our protocol if possible.  This would not be a new dissector from what I understand for other protocols wrapped in Ethernet or IP.

Basically, get Ethereal to read in a file with a bunch of hex strings, somewhere define what the fields are, and use the Ethereal gui.

Possible?  Thoughts?

Or would it be better to just start from scratch?

Tom