Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] RFC2733 implications for the RTP header extension (X) bit

From: "Mark Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:56:54 -0000
RFC2733 "An RTP Payload Format for Generic Forward Error Correction"
requires the RTP header extension (X) bit to be used in an otherwise
non-standard way. The header extension is never present, independent of
the value of the X bit. The X bit contains the result of the FEC
protection operation as applied to each of the data packets protected by
that FEC packet.

I am considering adding support for this into Wireshark. Has any thought
ever been given to incorporating RFC2733 support into the RTP dissector?
Are there any good reasons why this should not be supported?

Further, I would be interested to hear suggestions on how I might
implement this. The dissector working on the RTP payload would be
responsible for the majority of the RFC2733 dissection, but the RTP
dissector itself would need to be aware of its payload type in order to
treat the X bit correctly.

Thanks for any comments.

Mark