Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark w/ MSVC++ 2005 EE fails to capture

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:53:32 +0100
Stephen Fisher wrote:
First of all, thanks to Ulf for making Wireshark compile on MSVC++ 2005 Express Edition so I can try it out without buying the compiler.

I'm having problems when I run Wireshark built with this compiler though. I'm running it out of the c:\wireshark\wireshark-gtk2\ directory. When I start a capture, I get a generic error:

--

Wireshark has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

--

With a link to another error that says:

--

Error Signature
AppName: wireshark.exe	AppVer: 0.99.6.0   ModName: msvcr80.dll

--

When I run MSVC++ and attach to the process to debug before it crashes, it fails on line 650 of gui_utils.c. The line is within pipe_timer_cb() and says:

	handle = (HANDLE) _get_osfhandle (pipe_input->source);

The call stack points to:

wireshark.exe!pipe_timer_cb(void * dta=0x0057b4c8) Line 650 + 0xc bytes

Any idea what could be going wrong? Sorry, I'm not more familiar with debugging on Windows.

Steve

Hmmm, don't look familiar. I can capture with a msvc2005ee build without problems.

Out of the blue: did you made a distclean before the actual build? That saved me from several headaches!

What capture options did you choose? Special interface, ring buffer, ...? Can you "play" a bit and see if it crashes on other "i/o" operations (open a file, print, ...) too?

BTW: I assume that you run WS on the devel machine :-)

Regards, ULFL