Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win32: The best way to solve dependencies for user-guide.chm

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:36:40 +0100

> Thank you for the explanation. Makes things more clear.
> What I would propose is to have the setup target put everything in
> C:\wireshark-win32-libs (like it does now) including the CHM file.
> Then when the build is done have it copied to docbook\ when the file is
> either absent there or older. No copy shall be done when the target file
> is newer since it then has been rebuild by the user. Now the installer can
> be build based on the CHM file in docbook\ without worry.
> This seems the way to keep is nice and clean.

That's what I had in mind ;-)

Background: The current setup mechanism only knows of downloading a zip file and unpacking it into a specific dir - and I don't want to change this.

Therefore, the user-guide should be zipped. Maybe add a SVN version number to this filename, e.g.: user-guide-SVN12345.zip is a good idea, so different versions can be kept in the same dir.

However, zipping this file won't reduce the size a lot, as .chm is already "compressed" - it's only to keep the setup mechanism the same for all "components".

So setup downloads user-guide.zip and creates a new dir user-guide in $(WIRESHARK_LIBS) - as it's doing with all the other zips as well.

When starting the NSIS packaging, \packaging\nsis\Makefile.nmake should copy the file $(WIRESHARK_LIBS)\user-guide\user-guide.chm into \docbook, if \docbook\user-guide.chm is not existing or older.

This way we have an up-to-date version of user-guide.chm right where we need it and can call the NSIS installer unconditionally :-)

Hopefully I can implement and check this in later today, so it still might get into the 0.99.5 release (as the roadmap already indicates).

Regards, ULFL