Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Build with Cygwin

From: Andrej Mikus <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:08:43 +0100
On Mon, 15.Jan.07 00:09:55 +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Andrej Mikus wrote:
> > I've got source tree downloaded, compiled with some changes and running
> > under Linux. My Windows development experience is quite limited, I used
> > just Cygwin so far. In the documentation I see that gcc under Cygwin can
> > compile Wireshark.
> >
> Where did you read that. It should contain a warning that this won't
> work out of the box.

I've read the note at
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChToolsCompiler.html#ChToolsGCC
It says that mainline is using MS compiler for several reasons, but no
real info about the reasons themselves.

> You might do yourself a favour and don't try to build with cygwin/gcc,
> as this is very experimental.

Point taken, idea dropped. Thanks for the early warning. This was just
an attempt to facilitate debugging, my final objective is to replace
dissector that is currently built in.

Andrej