Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is pcap-ng/ntar still in roadmap?

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:06:06 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy Harris" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Developer support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is pcap-ng/ntar still in roadmap?

Gianluca Varenni wrote:

I would prefer to have a separate API set (being it NTAR or anything else)
to deal with capture files.

One of the things I like less about libpcap is that the API to read/write
files is too much tied to the capture one without any specific reason.

That somewhat collides with WinPcap's pcap_open(), which can either open
a capture device or a capture file.

Right. And strictly speaking I never liked that API too much (as much as I love pcap_next_ex, instead). The problem is always the same. If you have a single API to open files and capture devices, you are somewhat limited to the operations you can do on files. And worse, the problem in the pcap API is that you use a pcap_t handle to read a file, and a pcap_dumper_t handle to write a file. Why?

GV