Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is pcap-ng/ntar still in roadmap?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:59:05 -0800
Gianluca Varenni wrote:

I would prefer to have a separate API set (being it NTAR or anything else) to deal with capture files.

One of the things I like less about libpcap is that the API to read/write files is too much tied to the capture one without any specific reason.

That somewhat collides with WinPcap's pcap_open(), which can either open a capture device or a capture file.