Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is pcap-ng/ntar still in roadmap?

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:14:50 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Benn Bollay" <benn@xxxxxx>
To: "Developer support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is pcap-ng/ntar still in roadmap?

Hello GV -

Thanks for the reply!

It's interesting to see how people work around the limitations in the
current pcap format.  One I'm is thinking of doing is utilizing the
Ethernet Trailer (which you almost /never/ see anymore) to associate a
lot of the data that pcap-ng would provide in a more elegent fashion.
With a custom dissector, that should give us a lot of the features we're
looking for.

Is the seeking problem a mechanics issue, or an API issue?  I'd be

It's an API problem, in the sense that I haven't found a set of APIs that satisfies me 100%. I don't know if you ever looked at the NTAR APIs, however there are basically three handle types: file handles, section handles and block handles. When you have an open block handle, you also have a corresponding section and file handle. When you perform a seek between blocks, if the block is within the same section, everything works ok. What happens to the section handle block when you jump to a block in a different section? Also, should it be possible to have a section seek pointer as well (so jump from a section to another, instead of block-to-block).

Regarding the implementation, it's not 100% trivial, and actually depends on how the new APIs are designed. At the moment i'm trying to create some samples with different API designs and see if they make sense or not...

interest in talking about it more with you, or perhaps contributing a
bit if that makes sense.

It would be definitely useful.

How difficult will the integration into the std tools (tcpdump,
Wireshark, et al) be once a consistent API is implemented?  One wonders
if it would be possible to provide a pcap interface to a pcap-ng file,
and circumvent a lot of the immediate compatibility issues.

Modifying libpcap to write pcap-ng files is quite easy, as pcap-ng is a superset of the pcap format. Reading is much more tricky. The problem is that the current libpcap API to read pcap files doesn't support all the features of pcap-ng (the most important one is probably the fact that a capture file can contain packets coming from multiple interfaces and link layers at the same time). In this case an idea is to modify the internals of libpcap to support a minimal set of the pcap-ng features without changing the current API (e.g. files with only one section and packets from one interface).

IMHO the best thing to do would be better decouple packet capture from packet logging to file. libpcap is the capture library, NTAR (or any other library) is the library used to read/write capture files.

Just my two cents.
GV

Cheers!
--Benn