Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is pcap-ng/ntar still in roadmap?

From: "Benn Bollay" <benn@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:43:20 -0800
Hello GV -

Thanks for the reply!

It's interesting to see how people work around the limitations in the
current pcap format.  One I'm is thinking of doing is utilizing the
Ethernet Trailer (which you almost /never/ see anymore) to associate a
lot of the data that pcap-ng would provide in a more elegent fashion.
With a custom dissector, that should give us a lot of the features we're
looking for.

Is the seeking problem a mechanics issue, or an API issue?  I'd be
interest in talking about it more with you, or perhaps contributing a
bit if that makes sense.

How difficult will the integration into the std tools (tcpdump,
Wireshark, et al) be once a consistent API is implemented?  One wonders
if it would be possible to provide a pcap interface to a pcap-ng file,
and circumvent a lot of the immediate compatibility issues.

Cheers!
--Benn

<wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>