Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6support isa bitoutdated ...

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:28:50 +0000
Alfred Alinazar wrote:
> Ulf Lamping wrote:
>> Hi Alfred!
>>
>> That's unrelated to the MSVC things.
>>
>> This seems to be a problem with your bison version (and I really don't
>> have a lot of knowledge about bison).
>>
>> The only thing I know is that the cygwin bison version (2.3) works well
>> on my machines while you seem to use the GnuWin32 (Mingw?) version.
>>
>> Please follow the tools recommendations from the Developer's Guide -
>> that's what I've written it for ;-)
> Hi Ulf,
>
> I installed the bison based on the Developer's Guide section 2.11.2.  I
> didn't know that I have to use cygwin bison.
> Btw, if I used cygwin bison, should I compile it from cmd.exe ? or
> should I use cygwin prompt ?

Look at the Developers Guide a little more closely, in particular
Section 2.3:

Section 2.3 - Warning, Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you
should strictly follow the recommendations!

Section 2.3.1 - Recommendations (Cygwin vs. win32 native) ... For all
these reasons the following recommends to use Cygwin tools where
appropriate.

Section 2.3.6 - Verify installed tools ...

 Enter at the command line (cmd.exe, not Cygwin's bash!):

> nmake -f Makefile.nmake verify_tools

This will check for the various tools needed to build Wireshark:

Section 4.5.2 - Win32 native ... you should use the "cmd.exe" command
interpreter ...

Ulf, and others, have put a huge amount of effort into the Developers
Guide.  Please do them the courtesy of reading it!.  Updates are always
welcome.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice