Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6support isa bitoutdated ...

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:08:08 +0100
Andrew Hood wrote:
Then it falls over because htmlhelp.lib is not in $(HHC_DIR)/lib. I said
before VS8 includes hhc.exe in $(HHC_DIR) but the includes, libs and
dlls are in the SDK, so I changed the HHC_LIBS in config.nmake

!IF "$(MSVC_VARIANT)" == "MSVC2005"
HHC_LIBS=htmlhelp.lib
!ELSE
HHC_LIBS=$(HHC_DIR)\lib\htmlhelp.lib
!ENDIF
I've checked in:

!IF "$(MSVC_VARIANT)" == "MSVC6"
HHC_CFLAGS=/I$(HHC_DIR)\include -DHHC_DIR
HHC_LIBS=$(HHC_DIR)\lib\htmlhelp.lib
!ELSE
HHC_CFLAGS=-DHHC_DIR
HHC_LIBS=htmlhelp.lib
!ENDIF

I've ensured that the htmlhelp.lib and htmlhelp.h files are available on all MSVC variants in the corresponding Platform SDK dirs - except for MSVC 6 which doesn't provide these files (you must install the separate HTML Help workshop as mentioned in the config.nmake in this case).

Changing both the include path and lib ensures that the header and lib files are from the same version - I don't know if it's necessary but it's safer this way ...

... just in the case you have installed the HTML Help Workshop to have the hhc.exe available to generate the docbook Guide files - just like I and the buildbot do ;-)

So this should be running on your machine as well now - could you have a try and report the results?

BTW: As you set HHC_DIR, do you use the "online help system" already? If yes, do you generate the Guides or just download the .chm file and put it in the source dir?

Regards, ULFL