Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6support isa bitoutdated ...

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 01:00:49 +0100
Andrew Hood wrote:
I enable HHC_DIR and disable AIRPCAP_DIR in config.nmake
You may better keep HHC_DIR disabled for now (it's optional) - let's fix one thing at a time ;-)
It's trivial to fix by changing HHC_LIBS as quoted lower down.
I guess so, but I would like to have it fixed for *all* MSVC variants before going to the next issue.
With my latest changes (yesterday), the "setup" target should download zlib123.zip (instead of zlib123-dll.zip),
and compile the zlib source when running e.g. the "all" target (right before wiretap is compiled).

There's no longer need to compile zlib "by hand".
Anders also observed it didn't build. If you did "nmake -k ..." it might
build later on, and then rerunning nmake might work.
What exact errors do you get? It just compiles without any problems on all of my installations.
Those are fixed by adding gdi32.lib advapi32.lib comdlg32.lib to
wireshark_LIBS.
If you're running the express edition, did you followed the guidelines to integrate the Paltform SDK into VC?
Details are at (especially step 4): http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/
It's Studio. Not Express.
That's really strange! I'm using an "out of the box" MSVC 2005 installation, which should behave exactly like your installation (unless you've tweaked your version somehow - or I did and cannot remember it). As we use a makefile and not the build in settings there shouldn't be much difference?!?

Any ideas what could be different? There must be something different here!
I'm not sure if it's better to depend on our developers that they've done this or to add the libs to the linker flags. Maybe the latter will make the whole process easier for our developers.
I'd just like to be able to build a clean source tree. I had less
trouble with MSVC2003 Professional.
I didn't saw that much difference between MSVC2003 and MSVC2005 - we need to tweak the linker settings until it's ok for all ...
Regards, ULFL