Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6 support isa bitoutdated ...

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:28:00 +1100
Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Andrew Hood wrote:
>
>>Reading
>>gzipped pcap files does work.
>>

> That's the next I will look for - how to do this in a clean.way for all
> compiler variants.

The simplest solution would probably be to not download zlib123 but
instead to download the source zlib-1.2.3 and compile it. That way the
same MSVCR* gets used throughout.

>>The extra libs added in Makfile.nmake may be overkill, but I wasn't
>>going to spend time working out which ones were superfluous.
>>

> I didn't need to change anything here :-) Is this needed for the zlib
> linking?

Maybe Express behaves differently to Studio. I got a lot of link errors
which seem to be related to Windows' GDI. Google turned up similar link
errors in some other projects and these were the extra libs they
required. I guess I could relink with various cominations of these to
find the minimal set required.

>>The patches are brute force. ifdefs will be needed to work with other
>>compiler versions.
>>

> Yes, that's what I'm experimenting with in the last days - being able to
> compile on *all* variants. This is consuming a *lot* of time.
>
>>I'll try gtk1 next.
>>

> gtk1 works "out of the box" for me, if gtk2 works.

Yep works for me too.

                -- Dr. Who