Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] bootp-dhcp vendor-specific options

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:27:44 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

RFC 2132 chapter 8.4 gives you an answer

   If a vendor potentially encodes more than one item of information in
   this option, then the vendor SHOULD encode the option using
   "Encapsulated vendor-specific options" as described below:

   The Encapsulated vendor-specific options field SHOULD be encoded as a
   sequence of code/length/value fields of identical syntax to the DHCP
   options field with the following exceptions:

Thus suboptions should be encoded with identical syntax to the DHCP
options. So in theory you could reenter bootp_option() again. But then
again that is not fool proof. Vendor specific implementations for Alcatel
AVA, PXE and CableLabs are already in place and that won't be the end of
it. Maybe you can handle it by means of a preference: "Interpret vendor
specific options conforming to RFC 2132".

Thanx,
Jaap