Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Cygwin Bash update breaks verify_tools

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:06:29 +0100
Hi!

The current solution with the SH_FLAGS magic doesn't seem to work on my machine - and the build problems of Prokash Sinha indicates that I'm not alone with this.

I'm using the latest cygwin bash that provides the igncr option - but the SH_FLAGS is empty when used in Makefile.nmake.

I've checked in the suggestion from Menno Andriesse to use dos2unix right before the first call to win32_setup.sh.

I'm not arguing that this is the best solution, but at least it works :-)

Bill Meier wrote:
There are at least two other Bash scripts which are referenced in the set of Wireshark Makefile.nmake files.

tools/make-dissector-reg
(This is presumably not normally executed since Python is probably installed and a Python program is used instead).
AFAIK, Python is mandatory nowadays (at least on Win32), we might simply want to remove this completely.
make-tapreg-dotc
This script is definitely used; (Without igncr I get an error when this script runs as part of the Make).
Hmmm, I don't get an error here - even after a distclean / make! I don't know the reason for this - we might use dos2unix here too (I didn't changed this).
So: my feeling is that it's best to use igncr whenever Bash is used so as to ensure that any current Bash script used in the Make (or new ones added in the future) will run.
I'll agree on this, but as it's just not working in it's current form, I've changed it to use dos2unix, which should hopefully work on all machines.

If you have a good idea why it's working on your machine and not on mine we might work out the real problem behind this ...

Regards, ULFL