Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tvbuff problem

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:15:44 -0800

On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Paul Forgey wrote:

So what am I not understanding?

That almost nobody uses composite tvbuffs, so they aren't well debugged and well supported? :-)

For one thing, there's currently no support in the display code for having a field correspond to multiple discontiguous regions of a packet. Something such as that would probably be useful (for example, in some protocols there are fields that are pointers into a data region, in which the real value of the field is contained; if you select such a field, you might want to have the pointer *and* the data to which it points highlighted).

That support would have to be added.