Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Microsoft Visual C Version 6support isa bitoutdated ...

From: "RABRET Laurent RD-MAPS-ISS" <laurent.rabret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:48:10 +0100
Well, if you want to do quick tests, you do not have to change anything in Makefile.nmake files...
The only compulsory adaptations are:
1) Commit the patch I sent yesterday
2) In the "config.nmake" file change "LOCAL_CFLAGS=/Zi /W3 " by "LOCAL_CFLAGS=/Zi /W3 /MD"

If you want to test with Visual studio >6 && < 2005, just add the correct msvcrxx.dll to the installer.

If you want to test with visual studio 2005/Visual C++ 2005 Express, do these additional operations:
1) I strongly recommend installing the latest platform SDK
2) Apply the ugly attached patch to the installer
3) Create a make project from the IDE (mind the directory) and
	a) Enter for example this standard command to compile (e.g. "nmake -f Makefile.nmake packaging"), clean (e.g. "nmake -f Makefile.nmake distclean")
	b) Apply the step 3 of the process explained here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

NB: The 2nd item would avoid to modify makefiles.

By now, everything should compile & work!

Of course, especially for VS 2005, a tuning process may be required. For example see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235591(VS.80).aspx to embed manifest files in exe/dll and http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE
to explain how to redistribute Run Time libraries for users not having msvcr80.dll.
As you'll see, the redistribution of this component requires
- a release >= Windows 98 or >= Windows 2000 (so Windows 95/NT not supported anymore)
- Windows Installer 3.0 etc...
There's maybe a better option I do not know because I discovered C++ 2005 2 days ago (static linking is certainly not the best option) :-<

If you encounter some problems, you can Call me on MSN/skype. Just send me a private eMail for us to fix an appointment.
Regards
Laurent