Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Protocol development

From: prashanth joshi <prashanthsjoshi2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:53:09 -0800 (PST)
Hi our requirement is as follows:
The packets are sent from the  application to a particular multicast ip address.
Now we want ethereal to capture these packets from the network.
So as I have observed for the implemnation of a protocol, a dissector has to be registered with a port. But I really dont know how they are getting the packets capturing at the ip layer. I mean I dont know how ethereal recognizes the ip address on which it has to capture the ip packets. Pleaseb any one tell me how this can be done. Besos we are supposed to implement our protocol for a particular multicast address and a particular udp port.
Regards
Prashanth

sebastien@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

You can't as you said "register a protocol for an IP address" ... but you can
register a plugin which will dissect your protocol.
If you only want the dissection for a particular IP address, wireshark allows
you to create a filter (capture or display).

for a plugin implementation in wireshark see the documentation
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/

Regards,
Sebastien Tandel

Selon prashanth joshi :