Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Roofnet Dissector

From: Nicola Arnoldi <nicola.arnoldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:12:11 +0100
Guys, you're great in showing such an interest in helping me with that
dissector.

For the capture, you'll need to wait until monday (I have those files in
my office).

Let me answer to your questions a little bit in detail.
---------------------------------
FIXED LENGTH HEADER

> - type (are there any fixed values?)

enum sr2packet_type {
	SR2_PT_QUERY = 0x01,
	SR2_PT_REPLY = 0x02,
	SR2_PT_DATA  = 0x04,
	SR2_PT_GATEWAY = 0x08,
};

> - nlinks : this field is used to tell how many fields there will be in
> the variable length header. Right?

Yes of course. Actually, if nlinks=N the fields in the variable length
header are not N.
Look at the PDF I sent you. If multiple links are present in the current
route the 32 bit fields are N*5 + 1, as the end of the first hop is
exactly the first hop of the folloing hop.
Those are simply IPv4 addresses.

> - next : semantic ?

Next is a number indicating the number of hops traversed so far by the
packet.

> - flags : bit X means ... ?
enum sr2packet_flags {
	SR2_FLAG_ERROR = (1<<0),
	SR2_FLAG_UPDATE = (1<<1),
};

> - Query Dst : IPv4 ?

Yes, it's an IPv4 address.

Anyway, if you provide me with a working version of the dissector (and
explain me how to install and use it), I can easily adjust it as soon as
I will learn more on the packet structure.

Thanks everybody, you rock!

Nicola