Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Patch adding option to display time as seconds(and fractions

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:47:53 +0100
Stephen Fisher wrote:
Thanks Ulf, Guy and Jaap for your feedback. I changed my local code to show this based on the suggestions:

  Seconds Since Epoch (1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC): 1234567890.123456

I am hesistant to put "Unix Epoch" because time_t on Windows has the same epoch and it takes up more space if we're including the date and time of epoch.

The menu doesn't look too bad being that wide. Should we go with this format?

As a trade off between "understandability and lengthiness" I've changed it to: "Seconds Since Epoch (1970-01-01): 1234567890.123456"

My thoughts on this:

- "unix epoch": although the term "epoch" is unix based it's not limited to unix in this regard - "epoch": I think it's a good idea to keep the epoch keyword for ML discussions and alike - not only for the internal code reasons mentioned before - "1970-01-01": Adding this makes it clear what epoch means in this regard (the technical oriented audience of WS will have heard this date before I guess) - "00:00:00 UTC": won't add any real additional information beside the time that a user will already expect (should be described in the User's Guide) - "00:00:00 UTC": makes the visual appearance of the menu hard and slower to read

If anyone can live with this compromise, I'll add a more detailed description to the User's Guide (e.g. mentioning "00:00:00 UTC").

It would be helpful for me if someone could provide a short description of the benefits and drawbacks of this format.

Regards, ULFL