Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 20049: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/dissector

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 00:44:12 -0800
Gerald Combs wrote:

As far as the Airpcap code being Windows-specific: we've tried to
generalize it so that it can be adapted to other platforms.  There's no
reason the code that calls airpcap_if_set_device_channel() under Windows
can't (and shouldn't) use the SIOCSIWFREQ ioctl under Linux.

...at least with drivers that support the wireless extension.

Similarly, it could use the SIOCS80211 ioctl, with IEEE80211_IOC_CHANNEL, under BSDs.

At some point, in my Copious Free Time(TM), I'd like to get libpcap to support setting arbitrary properties on an open pcap_t, including the channel on wireless adapters.