Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Patch adding option to display time as seconds(and fractions

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:46:20 -0800
On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 03:48:59PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>
> > As a Windows user I don't know what an "epoch time" is.
>
> Not all Unix users know what it is, either.
>
> > Would it be
> > better to use "Seconds Since Unix Epoch" or even better "Seconds Since
> > 1.1.1970"?
>
> Or "since 1970-01-01 00:00:00 GMT", to use something closer to the ISO
> standard, and to indicate the time as well as the date of the epoch.

Thanks Ulf, Guy and Jaap for your feedback.  I changed my local code to
show this based on the suggestions:

  Seconds Since Epoch (1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC): 1234567890.123456

I am hesistant to put "Unix Epoch" because time_t on Windows has the
same epoch and it takes up more space if we're including the date and
time of epoch.

The menu doesn't look too bad being that wide.  Should we go with this
format?

Steve