Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Patch adding option to display time as seconds(and fractions

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:57:31 +0100
Douglas Pratley wrote:
That's great. Now that I've demonstrated to our management that we can
get changes into the Wireshark code (so long as they're useful to
everybody), I'll be sitting down with the guys who use Wireshark a lot
here and looking at the Wireshark wishlist; hopefully I'll be given the
time to do more stuff!

Quite right about the GNU library - as I was developing on Win32 it
wasn't true even for me! If I read things correctly my assumption is
true for (at least) all POSIX compliant systems and for Win32. If there
is a platform out there that has a non-zero time_t value for epoch I
would be surprised.

Some thoughts about the menu item "Seconds Since Epoch Time: 123.123456" entry.

As a Windows user I don't know what an "epoch time" is. Would it be better to use "Seconds Since Unix Epoch" or even better "Seconds Since 1.1.1970"?

The time stamp example doesn't reflect the typical value and confuses the user with the "since beginning of capture" item, it might be much better to use something like "1234567890.123456" which reflects the typical value a user will see.

Any reasons against these changes?

Regards, ULFL