Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Generic dissector generator

From: "Marcelo Jedi" <marcelobarrosalmeida@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:11:01 -0200
Hi everybody,

After I learned how to write simple dissectors (without conversation
or any advanced feature) I started to look for some dissector
generators. I tested idl2wrs, asn2wrs and Pidl. They work fine, but
generate code related to specific protocols, not for a generic one.

I think ASN.1 language would be great for building generic dissectors,
I mean, dissectors that do not use BER / PER encoding  but a kind of
raw enconding, suitable for describing generic protocols.

I would like to know if there is any project in this direction or if
there is any framework for automatic dissector generation in progress.
My internet search did not bring me any good result.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Marcelo Barros