Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling under MSVC 8 - was about MSCV 6/7

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:06:54 +1100
Brian Vandenberg wrote:
> Sleepless,
>
> The steps provided earlier by another responder work great in vs6. If
> you're using vs7 or vs8 to debug you'll likely have trouble.

I've tried MSVC8 pretty much following the MSVC7 hints, including
recompiling zlib, which I know work because I've used MSVC7 before, and
I got probably 50,000 warnings about deprecated and insecure functions.

In openssl.h I had to change the typedef for X509_NAME and all the
places it is used to something else because of some error I suspect (but
couldn't prove) is a name clash. X509_NAME_SCREWS_UP_MSVC8 seems to be
acceptable to the compiler.

Then near the end I get errors about the application incorrectly calling
the C library, and neither wireshark not tshark will run.

                -- Dr. Who