Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Enabling threads

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:40:57 +0000
yes.

we used to have 2 threads in the old ethereal for a short period.

one thread for the main application and a second thread that was
dedicated to only update/redraw teh statistics taps once every few
seconds.

this did cause a quite significant degradation in performance/speed of
ethereal which is why it was removed :-(

On 11/8/06, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
Gerald Combs wrote:
> Is there any reason threads shouldn't be enabled by default?  It would
> make implementing the version checking and windows update features in
> the roadmap a bit easier and cleaner.

Sorry, but I don't really understand the relationship - can you explain
what you mean?

When I remember correct, the threading support wasn't working well with
GTK2.4, but that might have changed since then.

Regards, ULFL