Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Help understanding Epan's dissectors

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:28:00 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

Ah, so all is clear on the wiretap front. Well from there on (look in
packet-frame.c) the frame dissector looks in wtap_encap_dissector_table
for the dissector handling Ethernet (in this case). This dissector (see
packet-eth.c) has registered itself during startup in this table (search
for "wtap_encap") with the wiretap encapsulation for Ethernet. Therefor it
well be selected to decode the next part of the frame.
The Ethernet dissector itself knows where to look for the Ethertype (see
packet-ethertype.c) in the frame and finds the IP protocol dissector (in
this case). Therefor it well be selected to decode the next part of the
frame.
The IP dissector itself knows where to look for the Protocol (see
packet-ip.c) in the frame ..........

Etc etc etc.

So it all depends on the dissectors which register themselves to a lower
level dissector to handle a certain protocol. This can be via a dissector
table (like frame uses) or, if there is no specific field which describes
the next layer protocol (like a UDP payload), via a registration based on
certain aspects of the lower layer protocol. Like the bootp dissector
(see packet-bootp.c), which registers itself for udp.port 67 and 68.

In this the design of Wireshark mimics the protocol stack model perfectly
and makes it so extensible.

Thanx,
Jaap