Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Is using a locally defined (ie defined in the function) memory ,

From: prashanth joshi <prashanthsjoshi2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:26:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
When ever we need to alter the data that is on tvb, we need to copy the data in to our memory. So would it be safer to copy the data from tvb to the local memory ( ie stack memory ) always? I guess ethereal always has a copy of the local memory contents that we add to the display tree. So this avoids the dangling reference issues. So is using the heap memory to copy the contents from the tvb totally discouraged by the ethereal? I've written the code in such a way that i dont need to store the data for later reference. But at some places I've still used
> g_malloc( ) to allocate the memory ( I've an older version of ethereal and it does not support the ep_alloc ( ) ). So now i can just use locally defined array to store the tvb data?
And if I want to freee the memory allocated by the g_malloc( ) , when shall i free that in ethereal that is at what part of the ethereal code i need to include the memory deletion .....
> Regards,
> Prashanth.

Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

You're getting the host format and transport format mixed up. The host
format is based on the architecture for the platfom the code runs on. The
transport format is defined by the protocol used to communicate. Between
the two there is to be a translation layer, like the infamous
netinet/in.h macro's ntohs, ntohl, etc. If you want to transport
structured data, you'll have to define your translation layer for that as
well. Depening on eg. Basic Encoding Rules for your transport format, you
most likely can get libraries to do that for you.
Now, if you look at wireshark, it reads directly from the wire, so always
transport format. That is defined by protocol, not host format. If you
want to do more fancy stuff you have to use tvb_get_ntohs() and friends to
make this translation for you.

Thanx,
Jaap