Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Help understanding Epan's dissectors

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:40:14 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

Good question. For the answer you have to search further up the call
chain. Lets see:
file.c:add_packet_to_packet_list()
epan/epan.c:epan_dissect_run()
epan/packet.c:dissect_packet()
epan/dissectors/packet-frame.c:dissect_frame()

So when reading packets from a capture file, metadata (like wtap_encap) is
available passed along with it for the frame dissector to use. It's up to
the capture engine writing this capture file metadate to put the right
stuff in there.

Thanx,
Jaap