Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Patch for epan/dissectors/packet-arp.c

From: Roger Gottsponer <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:59:23 +0100 (MET)
Hi list!

This is my first email to this list. So first of all, I would like
to thank everybody who contributed to this wonderful piece of software.
It greatly helps me in my daily work and without wireshark,
professional life would be much worse...

During troubleshooting an ARP problem, I found an issue with wireshark
to properly recognise Gratuitous ARP packets. Gratuitous ARP packets
can be made with ARP request or ARP reply packets.

Wireshark reports Gratuitous ARP packets made of an ARP request
properly as gratuitous. However, if a Gratuitous ARP packet is made
of an ARP reply, wireshark does report it as an ordinary ARP reply
instead of reporting it as a Gratuitous ARP.

The attached patch allows wireshark to recognise and report all
gratuitous ARP packets.

Thanks,

Roger