Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Source code for ACN (ANSI BSR E1.17) Dissector

From: "Bill Florac" <bill.florac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 03:09:16 -0500
The ACN protocol is not port specific so it must rely on heuristics to determine if the packet is an ACN packet or not which it already does.

Here is the proto_register_handoff_acn function:  I change the create_dissector_handle to the new_ variant but that is all (so far)

proto_reg_handoff_acn(void)
{
  static guint Initialized = FALSE;
  static dissector_handle_t acn_handle;
  if (!Initialized) {
    acn_handle = new_create_dissector_handle(dissect_acn, proto_acn);
    Initialized = TRUE;
  }
  heur_dissector_add("udp", dissect_acn_heur, proto_acn);
  dissector_add("udp.port", global_acn_port, acn_handle);
}

The dissect_acn() function does NOT have code to determine if it is ACN. I had assumed once you enable heuristic, the function dissect_acn() would not be called but rather dissect_acn_heur(). Which, in turn, calls dissect_acn().  Is this the correct setup?

Bill