Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] D-Bus support

From: frederic heem <frederic.heem@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:32:03 +0200
Alle 00:47, giovedì 26 ottobre 2006, Ulf Lamping ha scritto:
> frederic heem wrote:
> > Hi,
> > D-Bus support has been adding to wireshark.
> > For those who are interested to know more about this feature, a
> > README.dbus has been written.
> > Any comments will be appreciated
> > Cheers,
> > Frederic Heem
>
> Mentioning the bugzilla entry 1179 would be a good idea - not everyone
> will have read it to follow the discussion.
>
> Some thoughts about your bugzilla comments:
>
> - A link to the d-bus projects homepage would be nice:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdbus
Done,
> - your initial patch was 2350 lines - your full patch 5794 lines!
That's because I couldn't figure out how to tell subversion to include new
files when doing "svn diff". Does anyone know ?
> I had
> a quick look which took me more than 15 minutes and I didn't get it all
> (I don't know dbus and cmake) in that time. I don't know how you can
> review this in 15 minutes (especially when you've not written the code).
> A good inspection rate of a serious code review takes around 1h for 1000
> lines of non commentary code (however, this value varies depending on
> the author your reading). You've mentioned 15 minutes which seems *very*
> optimistic.
Indeed, I was very optimistic.
> - "Controlling wireshark through D-Bus" is just misleading. You're
> controlling dumpcap (which is just a small part of Wireshark). I would
> understand controlling Wireshark mean to be able to control e.g. the WS
> GUI. - adding a lot of #ifdef's to the dumpcap code *will* make it less
> secure in the long run - it reduces maintainability and therefore make new
> bugs more likely
People has very divergent feeling about #ifdef/#endif, on one hand, one can
quickly indentify where is the D-Bus related code, and disable it at compile
time, on the other hand, abusing of  #ifdef/#endif makes the code unreadable.
Feel free to remove them if you prefer.

> - "since decoding no longer needs root privileges, security is improved"
> - great that you've also find out why I took *a lot of time* to create
> dumpcap and use it by WS to improve security - but that's in no way
> related to your d-bus changes.

D-Bus wasn't added to wireshark to improve security or whatsoever, the main
reason is to allow external application to start and stop captures.
> BTW: Stating to improve security by adding a possibly remotely
> accessible mechanism is the best joke I've seen for quite a while.
>
> I've tried to be polite in the response to your first bugzilla entry -
> to guide you the way making inclusion of your patch much more likely. In
> the meantime reading your answers to it, I don't feel a lot motivation
> to spend my free time to work on your patch any longer.
I've done what you've requested by splitting the patch even though I think it
was not necessary.

> Just remember that you are talking to mostly volunteers spending their
> free time to work on this project. And working on your own work is
> certainly much more appealing than reviewing someone else's code for
> inclusion - how nice and practical this addition may be ...
>
> Regards, ULFL

--- NOTICE ---

CONFIDENTIALITY - This  email  and  any  attachments  are confidential and are
intended  for  the  addressee  only.   If  you  have  received this message by
mistake,  please  contact us immediately and then delete the message from your
system.  You  must  not copy, distribute, disclose or act upon the contents of
this email. Thank you.

PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION  (Law  by  Decree  30.06.2003  n. 196) - Personal and
corporate  data  submitted  will  be used in a correct, transparent and lawful
manner. The data collected will be processed in paper or computerized form for
the performance of contractual  and  lawful  obligations  as  well  as for the
effective management of business relationship. Data may be disclosed, in Italy
or abroad, for the purpose above mentioned to third  parties  which  cooperate
with Telsey, agents, banks, factoring companies,  credit recovering companies,
credit  insurance  companies,  professional  and  consultants,  and   shipping
companies. In relation to the same purposes, data  may  be  processed  by  the
following  classes  of  executors  or  processors:  management; administration
department; logistics  and  purchase  department; sales department; post sales
department quality department; R&D department; IT department; legal department.
The  data  processor  is  Telsey S.p.A.  The data subject may exercise all the
rights set forth in art. 7 of Law by Decree 30.06.2003  n. 196 as reported  in
in the following link http://www.telsey.it/privacy.jsp.

798t8RfNa6Dl8Ilf