Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Why am I getting a BoundsError?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 02:03:01 +0200
Andrew Schweitzer wrote:
I'm writing a dissector for a proprietary protocol and using tcp_dissect_pdus. Our packets can be 2k, and sometimes I seem to get incorrectly parsed messages in the gui. I see the text in the gui "Packet size limited during capture".

I found this in packet-frame.c, and apparently I'm getting a "BoundsError", possibly because my "snapshot length too short".

Any idea what's going on here? Is there something I can do to fix it? Either in code or in settings
The *intention* of this is to tell you that the packet length captured was limited while capturing - if the user e.g. said to only capture the first 100 bytes of each packet (which for example can be 15xx bytes for an Ethernet packet). This will save only the first 100 bytes of each packet.

So you'll have to capture full length packets to see the full packets - and don't get those messages then ;-)

... unless there's a bug in the WS code :-)

Regards, ULFL