Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] D-Bus support

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:04:55 -0700
frederic heem wrote:

* fix pcap_open_live timeout:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=469579&aid=1576578&group_id=53067

Note that there are other platforms where the underlying packet capture mechanism doesn't have a time out - and at least one other platform, namely Solaris, where the timer doesn't start until the first packet arrives.

I.e., any code that depends on the timer preventing a read on a pcap_t from taking more than the specified amount of time is depending on something that libpcap does not and will not guarantee (and the libpcap man page explicitly indicates this). Does your code depend on that?