Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] compiling wsluarm docbook files

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:53:22 +0100
The docbook files have a description of the API and are generated from
comments in the code using wslua/make-doc.pl, I  did not knew about
doxygen, I'll take a look into it.

The wiki pages is out of sync, I'll leave just examples and poiters to
documents about Lua. They are useless as such...

As far as documentation goes I'm going to produce a set of examples
and a reference manual generated from the code.

Should the generated docbook files be created directly in docbook/ ?

On 10/19/06, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe a stupid question, but why bury this deep down in the source tree
> instead of with the other docbook stuff, so in a subdirectory under
> docbook? Integrate the build in there should be simpler.

ACK.

Another question that comes to my mind (without having a look at the
current lua docbook content):

Does it (in general terms) contains basic information or will it mostly
contain an API description?

If it contains an API description, docbook is really not the way to go -
it inherently get's outdated if the API involves in time - making it a
maintenance nightmare. In this case using e.g. doxygen might be the way
to go (don't know if doxygen works nicely together with lua), as the API
description is included in the code comments (tends to update as the
code enhances in time) - instead of a separate document source (which is
virtually never updated and get's outdated pretty soon).

Anyway, what's missing in any case is a (maybe small) README in
epan\wslua to what it's all about (maybe a few intro sentences and a
link to the Wiki or whatever appropriate).

BTW: What's the state of the current wiki lua pages?

I've tried to get a small overview of the current state and got *really*
confused - the current state of the documentation is the best way to get
users *away* from using lua - but you're working on it ...

Regards, ULFL