Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The empty "Tools" menu toplevel item must be removed before

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:01:28 +0100
On 10/16/06, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
You maybe keep it in it's place and just hide it (using the
gtk_widget_hide/show calls for the menu item widget). That's usually
*much* simpler than finding and inserting at the right place in the
hierarchy later again.

That I thought as well... but I did not find out how to get a ptr to the menu.

It should be possible to get the GTK widget pointer from the menu item
factory somehow, that's how the statistics items are handled when I
remember correct.

I looked for a way to get a pointer to the widget in menu.c but I
didn't find it... Neither did I found anything helpful in the GTK2
Ref...

If you get stuck, I may be able to help you here.
I'm stuck... and help would be very welcome :)

> On 10/16/06, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> IF the lua scripting would only be missing some features and show some bugs from time to time that would be ok.
>>
> It's still missing features...
> It isn't yet documented...
> But I'm at the point in which others have to help me find the bugs...
> I don't know of any I haven't fixed... I know there are many more but
> I just don't know where.

So updating the docs should be the next step.

>> BUT - AFAIK the lua scripting support is just buggy, the documentation is outdated and misleading, ...
>>
>  I'll be working on the documentation on the next few days, I'll pull
> out at least a summary reference manual,  and some examples.

Sounds good.
>> ... in it's current form it's just not ready for "prime time" IMHO.
>>
> That's my opinion as well, btw  It does no harm unless invoked. So I
> prefer it there (maybe disabled from the init.lua) but available.

ACK. As long as it won't show up in the GUI as default it's just fine.
Showing it if some lua scripts are available is ok as well.
>> Releasing it to the public now will end in a lot of discussion, discouraging a lot of users about bugs and alike - they will never try it again when it's actually ready.
>>
> What do you mean by releasing it?
> Source code its been in the repo (and source tarballs) for months...
> A Binary (plugin) for windows has been available since Ethereal...

Well, mention it in the release notes, mentioning it to users if someone
asks, moving the docs from the development to the users part of the
wiki, ...
>> Everything has it's time, and the current lua integration isn't there yet IMHO.
>>
> Which are the milestones?

Well, it's your task to set the milestones, I guess the next is to write
some decent docs/wiki pages :-)

Regards, ULFL

-- Marshall McLuhan