Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The empty "Tools" menu toplevel item must be removed before

From: Daniel Griscom <griscom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:23:41 -0400
So, in its current state you would like to discourage casual users from wondering about it. Makes sense to me.

However, on my prebuilt Windows executable, version 0.99.3, there's no top level "Tools" menu. Does this mean my executable was compiled without Lua support? Is this the default? If so, then I'd suggest that "being compiled with Lua support" implies the user is more knowledgeable than the average bear, and in fact has asked (or has been given the option) for Lua support. So, giving them a hook to understanding what that empty "Tools" menu is shouldn't be a problem.

So, my suggested solution (some of which may already be implemented):

- Default Wireshark build should not include Lua support

- "Tools" menu for Lua scripts should be visible iff Lua support compiled in

- If the "Tools" menu would otherwise be empty, add a "What is this?" menu item that opens a simple "It's for Lua scripting: see <here>" dialog.

Dan

--
Daniel T. Griscom             griscom@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/