Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The empty "Tools" menu toplevel item must be removed before

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:13:14 +0200

> I beg to differ. A lot of Wireshark users (such as myself) aren't
> interested in going through a product's manual line-by-line learning
> the features (especially the fringe ones); we just want to use the
> darn thing. However, we do want to have hints of additional
> capabilities that might become useful at need ("... how the hell do I
> solve this problem... oh, wait, I remember seeing this feature
> somewhere..."). Going through a product's menu items and preferences
> often gives a great high-level precis of its features.
>
> For instance, I had no idea something like Lua scripting was
> available until seeing this discussion, but now I'm wondering about
> using it to prototype my AMF dissector.
>
> So, unless you actually want to discourage users from accessing that
> feature, I think the menu should be present when Lua support is
> present, with an informative menu item automatically added when the
> menu would otherwise be empty. If it currently says "experimental"
> then that's fine; people will learn about Lua support, and if it's
> important enough to them they might dive on in and improve it.

I understand your point of view.

IF the lua scripting would only be missing some features and show some bugs from time to time that would be ok.

BUT - AFAIK the lua scripting support is just buggy, the documentation is outdated and misleading, ...

... in it's current form it's just not ready for "prime time" IMHO.

Releasing it to the public now will end in a lot of discussion, discouraging a lot of users about bugs and alike - they will never try it again when it's actually ready.

Everything has it's time, and the current lua integration isn't there yet IMHO.

Regards, ULFL