Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The empty "Tools" menu toplevel item must be removed before

From: Daniel Griscom <griscom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 07:14:44 -0400
Gerald Combs wrote:
 An alternative to keeping it hidden would be to add a default menu item
 with the text "Why is this menu empty?", or "How to add items to this
 menu", which takes the user to a help page describing how to add items.
Don't you think this is a very poor mans solution - in the current lua
scripting state?

This help page will read something like: "This menu item is to add lua
scripts. We won't tell you how to write these scripts - the current help
is pretty much outdated - lua support is still experimental - but in
case you'll find out you can add them here".

I beg to differ. A lot of Wireshark users (such as myself) aren't interested in going through a product's manual line-by-line learning the features (especially the fringe ones); we just want to use the darn thing. However, we do want to have hints of additional capabilities that might become useful at need ("... how the hell do I solve this problem... oh, wait, I remember seeing this feature somewhere..."). Going through a product's menu items and preferences often gives a great high-level precis of its features.

For instance, I had no idea something like Lua scripting was available until seeing this discussion, but now I'm wondering about using it to prototype my AMF dissector.

So, unless you actually want to discourage users from accessing that feature, I think the menu should be present when Lua support is present, with an informative menu item automatically added when the menu would otherwise be empty. If it currently says "experimental" then that's fine; people will learn about Lua support, and if it's important enough to them they might dive on in and improve it.

Dan

--
Daniel T. Griscom             griscom@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/