Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Release (0.99.4) next week

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:04:48 -0700
Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 04:08:04PM -0700, Gerald Combs wrote:
>> I'd like to release 0.99.4 next Wednesday (the 18th).  If you're
>> planning on checking in any major changes, please hold off until the
>> release branch is created (probably Friday or Monday).
>
> Hmm, there are still some open points on the roadmap:
>
> Pending:
> Version checking.
> Windows updater.
> Fix Coverity bugs.
> Fix blocker bugs:
> 396 - Saving flow data crashes Wireshark
> Finish capture privilege separation.
> Use the "User's Guide" as the online help system for Wireshark releases
>
> So is it really such a good idea to make a new release?

I just added the following bugs to the "Complete" list in the roadmap:

1050, 1079 - HTTP dissector crash
1096 - Wireshark fails to start on Windows when it can't acquire a
crypto context

Either of these would warrant a new release IMHO.  I'll take a look at
the flow data bug.

What would be the preferred way of implementing the version checking and
Windows updater features?  Firefox appears to use a simple SSL
connection, presumably to mitigate man-in-the-middle attacks.  Assuming
we have GNUTLS or OpenSSL available, is there anything wrong with this
approach?