Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Not possible to run wireshark from root dev dir on Windows

From: Peter Johansson <Peter.xc.Johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:02:36 +0200
Ulf Lamping wrote:
Peter Johansson wrote:
I have recently noticed that wireshark.exe and wireshark-gtk2.exe no longer can be run from the root development directory on Windows because a set of dlls files no longer gets copied there by the build target install-deps ("nmake -f makefile.nmake install-deps"). For example wiretap-0.3.dll, libwireshark.dll, adns_dll.dll, libgnutls-14.dll, libgcrypt-11.dll and libgpg-error-0.dll. Instead all works fine if run from the <root dev dir>\wireshark-gtk1\ and the <root dev dir>\wireshark-gtk2\ directories.

Is this behaviour by feature or design?

That's by design.

See: http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200609/msg00425.html
I see. Should perhaps the files capinfos.exe, dumpcap.exe, editcap.exe, mergecap.exe, randpkt.exe, rdps.exe, text2pcap.exe, tshark.exe, wireshark-gtk2.exe and wireshark.exe be moved to the <root dev dir>\wireshark-gtk<1/2> directories from the <root dev dir> instead of being copied then? Why leave them in the <root dev dir>?

/ Peter