Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Filter dialog changes ...

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:15:42 +0200
Hi List!

First of all, my goal is to remove the "Save" buttons from the various Preference and alike setting dialogs (Filters, Coloring Rules, Enabled Protocols). These dialogs should work as other common setting dialogs, namely have the following buttons (beside Help or task specific ones, of course):

- Ok: Apply settings and close the dialog
- Apply: Apply the settings and keep the dialog open
- Cancel: Revert changes done and close the dialog

For the few people still insisting on having an explicit Save button, I'll add a Preference setting to let the "Save" button appear again and work as formerly expected.

This is the last big usability issue I have on my list, as these dialogs are definitely not working as a normal user would expect - and frequently annoy the users I talk to (and sometimes even myself ...).

While working on changing this, I've remembered that the Filter and the Coloring Rules dialogs are having a "Close" button (which simply closes the dialog) instead of a "Cancel" button (which reverts changes to the internal data). This were ok before, as closing Wireshark without saving would revert the settings. With the changes now intended, this is obviously not a good option any longer.

So I've checked in a change to the filter dialog (and the code in filters.c) to have a real "Cancel" button instead of the former "Close" button. It will revert the changes made to the internal data since the last "Ok" or "Apply" (or "Save") were done.

When I find some time in the next days, I'll try to change the "Coloring Rules" dialog the same way and remove the "Save" button as described above.

If you encounter any strange behaviour of the mentioned dialogs (other behaviour than the intended, of course :-), please let me now ...

Regards, ULFL

(I don't intend to change any other behaviour of these dialogs, so please don't even ask - the wish list is full enough ;-)